Please use LinkedIn for professional inquiries. Further contact information available upon request.
Creative, experienced software engineer seeking challenging projects and leadership opportunities in scientific software.
Advanced Software Engineer (January 2017 - Present) at a medical device company
- Currently working on a really cool project with really cool people. More details available when things become public.
- Led AI initiative from incipient research stage to productization
- Developed software tools and frameworks for image annotation, model architecture development, model training and evaluation, and product integration
- Managed team of image annotators both on-location and remote
- Conducted research and developed novel proprietary image segmentation Convolutional Neural Network architecture
- Skills used: C++, TensorFlow, AI, Convolutional Neural Networks, Qt, QML, Team Management
- Designed, Developed, Documented, and Tested numerous features for medical device, while conforming to appropriate medical device regulations.
- Developed automated component and integration test framework for QML
Advanced Software Engineer (November 2015 - December 2016) at Symbotic, Wilmington, MA
- Developed, debugged, and optimized control software for autonomous robotic warehouse solutions.
- Improved software processes and work-flow by introducing software and scripts for controlled merges, code reviews, and automated builds and tests.
- Developed interactive visualizations for data obtained from simulation and production installations.
- Skills used: C#, Algorithm Development, Source Control, Git, Gitlab, Ruby, CoffeeScript
Senior Software Engineer (March 2014 - October 2015) at Thermo Fisher Scientific, Portable Analytic Instruments (Tewksbury, MA)
- Led software team as architect and primary scientific programmer of groundbreaking Niton XL5 XRF analyzer.
- Worked with project managers, product managers, and SQA engineers to gather requirements and ensure projects delivered successfully.
- Mentored junior team members in software design and development.
- Developed framework for rapid prototyping of experiments and data analysis.
- Participated in cross-functional leadership development program.
- Skills used: Software Architecture, Object-Oriented Design, Team Management, Agile Software Development.
Software Engineer (July 2012 - March 2014) at Thermo Fisher Scientific, Portable Analytic Instruments (Tewksbury, MA)
- Implemented, maintained, parallelized, and optimized advanced Fundamental Parameters based XRF elemental analysis algorithms and spectral processing algorithms for hand-held XRF spectrometers.
- Implemented and tested calibration routines for Raman and FTIR chemical identification devices.
- Designed application architecture for new hand-held XRF spectrometer product.
- Reverse engineered, modularized and maintained legacy C and C++ code algorithms and applications for XRF and FTIR products.
- Developed cross-platform tools for automated software functional tests using Ruby.
- Developed tools for application scientists to visualize and tweak algorithm operation.
- Provided training to other engineers for C++, XRF, Qt, QML, Mercurial, and Linux.
- Setup and maintained Mercurial repositories, Teamcity continuous integration server, and qmake based build system.
- Received Thermo Fisher 4-I Award for contributions to XRF spectrometers and other projects.
- Skills used: XRF Spectroscopy, C++, Object Oriented design, Algorithm Development, Qt, Mercurial, QML, Ruby
- Developed modular application architecture for reuse across products.
- Implemented advanced, parallelized, Fundamental Parameters based XRF Algorithms.
- Developed Ruby based framework for rapid prototyping of experiments and diagnostics.
- Provided leadership as software architect and primary science programmer.
- Skills used: C++, Ruby, XRF, Object-Oriented Design
VARTISTE: Virtual Reality
- Open Source cross-platform library providing easy to use GUI toolkit to ruby scripts and applications
- Bridges gap between modern web tools and desktop ruby application development
- Skills used: Ruby, CoffeeScript, WebSockets, CSS
The Kromophone - Sensory Substitution Device for Environmental Navigation (http://kromophone.com)
- Developed assistive technology designed to allow blind or vision impaired users to interact with their environment.
- Invented color sonification scheme and developed software to translate colors from a camera into distinct, recognizable sounds and allow for user control and interaction.
- Conducted experiments on blind and sighted subjects to gauge effectiveness of sonification schemes.
- Skills used: C++, Qt, Android, Adaptive Technology, Experimental Procedure, Signal Processing, Fourier Analysis
Senior Honors Thesis: Noncontact Determination of Fluid Properties by Means of Focused Acoustics (http://www.zachcapalbo.com/projects/fluids.html)
- Designed, developed, and assembled apparatus and software for conducting measurements of surface tension and viscosity using a single focused ultrasound.
- Skills used: Algorithms, Acoustics, Applied Physics, C++, Octave/MATLAB, Instrument Control, GPIB, Linux, LaTex
- C++, Ruby, QML, CoffeScript, Python, MATLAB, LabVIEW, Lisp, C, C#, and many others
- Algorithm Design and Optimization, XRF, FTIR, Raman
- Parallel Programming, Object Oriented Design, Test Driven Development
- Linux, Windows, Windows CE, Qt, OpenGL, NodeJS, Mercurial, Git
Gordon College, Wenham, MA
- B. Sc. Physics (Computational Concentration) with Departmental Honors
- B. Sc. Computer Science
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude May 2012
- GPA: 3.75