Please use LinkedIn for professional inquiries. Further contact information available upon request.
Creative, experienced software engineer seeking challenging projects and leadership opportunities in medical and scientific software.
Senior Software Engineer II, Advanced Development (May 2021 - Present) at Gentuity (Sudbury, MA)
- Managed cross-functional engineering team developing ground-breaking image-based simulation software.
- Managed team of subject matter experts
- Skills used: Team management
- Worked in ISO:13485 certified environment with quality and regulatory groups to help ensure software is properly documented, tested, and safe for commercial use in humans.
- Managed software team backlog and ran regular software planning meetings. Worked with Marketing
- Continued contributing core features and bug fixes
- Skills used: Software Development, C++, Qt, QML
Advanced Software Engineer (January 2017 - May 2021) at Gentuity (Sudbury, MA)
- Designed, documented, implemented, and tested software features at every layer for intravascular OCT imaging device, including:
- Microcontroller device control firmware
- AI & Conventional image processing algorithms
- User interface incorporating touch, mouse, keyboard controls and 3D display
- Asynchronous application logic
- Skills used: C++, Qt, QML, ITK, VTK,
- Led AI initiative from incipient research stage to productization
- Developed software tools and frameworks for image annotation, model architecture development, model training and evaluation, and product integration
- Managed team of image annotators both on-location and remote
- Conducted research and developed novel proprietary image segmentation Convolutional Neural Network architecture
- Skills used: C++, TensorFlow, AI, Convolutional Neural Networks, Qt, QML, Team Management
- Developed automated component and integration test framework for QML
- Diagnosed PCB board design issues leading to USB signal integrity degredation
Advanced Software Engineer (November 2015 - December 2016) at Symbotic (Wilmington, MA)
- Developed, debugged, and optimized control software for autonomous robotic warehouse solutions.
- Improved software processes and work-flow by introducing software and scripts for controlled merges, code reviews, and automated builds and tests.
- Developed interactive visualizations for data obtained from simulation and production installations.
- Skills used: C#, Algorithm Development, Source Control, Git, Gitlab, Ruby, CoffeeScript
Senior Software Engineer (March 2014 - October 2015) at Thermo Fisher Scientific, Portable Analytic Instruments (Tewksbury, MA)
- Led software team as architect and primary scientific programmer of groundbreaking Niton XL5 XRF analyzer.
- Worked with project managers, product managers, and SQA engineers to gather requirements and ensure projects delivered successfully.
- Mentored junior team members in software design and development.
- Developed framework for rapid prototyping of experiments and data analysis.
- Participated in cross-functional leadership development program.
- Skills used: Software Architecture, Object-Oriented Design, Team Management, Agile Software Development.
Software Engineer (July 2012 - March 2014) at Thermo Fisher Scientific, Portable Analytic Instruments (Tewksbury, MA)
- Implemented, maintained, parallelized, and optimized advanced Fundamental Parameters based XRF elemental analysis algorithms and spectral processing algorithms for hand-held XRF spectrometers.
- Implemented and tested calibration routines for Raman and FTIR chemical identification devices.
- Designed application architecture for new hand-held XRF spectrometer product.
- Reverse engineered, modularized and maintained legacy C and C++ code algorithms and applications for XRF and FTIR products.
- Developed cross-platform tools for automated software functional tests using Ruby.
- Developed tools for application scientists to visualize and tweak algorithm operation.
- Provided training to other engineers for C++, XRF, Qt, QML, Mercurial, and Linux.
- Setup and maintained Mercurial repositories, Teamcity continuous integration server, and qmake based build system.
- Received Thermo Fisher 4-I Award for contributions to XRF spectrometers and other projects.
- Skills used: XRF Spectroscopy, C++, Object Oriented design, Algorithm Development, Qt, Mercurial, QML, Ruby
Niton XL5 XRF Analyzer (http://thermoscientific.com/xl5)
- Developed modular application architecture for reuse across products.
- Implemented advanced, parallelized, Fundamental Parameters based XRF Algorithms.
- Developed Ruby based framework for rapid prototyping of experiments and diagnostics.
- Provided leadership as software architect and primary science programmer.
- Skills used: C++, Ruby, XRF, Object-Oriented Design
VARTISTE: Virtual Reality Art Laboratory (https://vartiste.xyz)
- Open source WebXR virtual reality painting and modelling app.
- Built from the ground up to allow painting in VR with a myriad of tools and brushes.
- Allows painting textures and materials directly onto 3D model. Allows creating 3D models and scenes with novel VR tools and interface concepts.
- Responded to community feedback, including fixing bugs, and reviewing and accepting merge requests.
- Contributed fixes as needed to underlying open source libraries used (especially three.js and aframe)
Flammarion Ruby GUI Toolkit (https://github.com/zach-capalbo/flammarion)
- Open Source cross-platform library providing easy to use GUI toolkit to ruby scripts and applications
- Bridges gap between modern web tools and desktop ruby application development
- Skills used: Ruby, CoffeeScript, WebSockets, CSS
The Kromophone - Sensory Substitution Device for Environmental Navigation (http://kromophone.com)
- Developed assistive technology designed to allow blind or vision impaired users to interact with their environment.
- Invented color sonification scheme and developed software to translate colors from a camera into distinct, recognizable sounds and allow for user control and interaction.
- Conducted experiments on blind and sighted subjects to gauge effectiveness of sonification schemes.
- Skills used: C++, Qt, Android, Adaptive Technology, Experimental Procedure, Signal Processing, Fourier Analysis
- Algorithm Design and Optimization, XRF, FTIR, Raman
- AI/Machine Learning and Conventional image processing, TensorFlow, ITK, VTK, OpenCV
- Parallel Programming, Object Oriented Design, Test Driven Development
- Linux, Windows, Qt, OpenGL, Git
Gordon College, Wenham, MA (May 2012)
- B. Sc. Physics (Computational Concentration, with Departmental Honors) and Computer Science
- GPA: 3.75, Summa Cum Laude
Senior Honors Thesis: Noncontact Determination of Fluid Properties by Means of Focused Acoustics (http://www.zachcapalbo.com/projects/fluids.html)
- Designed, developed, and assembled apparatus and software for conducting measurements of surface tension and viscosity using a single focused ultrasound.
- Skills used: Algorithms, Acoustics, Applied Physics, C++, Octave/MATLAB, Instrument Control, GPIB, Linux, LaTex